National Scholarship Information
Ideas for Success
1) Volunteerism – community, school (Important to give service/give back to others/ Be creative)
2) Leadership activities
3) Keep a record of all applications/essays (you can tweak information to use again)
4) Terms: Bursary = financial need Scholarship = academic standing
5) Reference Letters – from employers, teachers, coaches, close family friends (not relatives!)
1) Horatio Algers - $5000 Online application. Deadline: Oct 25,2020 Experienced adversity in your life.
2) LORAN Award – $100,000 https://apply.loranscholar.ca/
- School Sponsored Candidates (only 3) - complete school application form by Oct 1, 2020 by 3:30 PM
If selected, complete online application. Deadline: October 15, 2020
- Direct Pool Candidates – Online application Deadline: October 22, 2020
3) Schulich Leadership Scholarship - $100,000 STEM programs at post-secondary
Career choices: technology, engineering, entrepreneurship/business, applied scientific research
- School Sponsored Candidates (only 1) - complete school application form by Nov 13, 2020 by 3:30 PM
If selected, complete online application. Deadline: January 27, 2021
4) TD Scholarships for Community Leadership– up to $10,000 for 4 years. Deadline: Nov 13, 2020
School/School District Based: applications available beginning of Feb 2021 Deadline – March 2021 TBA
1) Isfeld Bursaries – donated by various community groups
2) District Authority Awards – $1250 voucher
BC Ministry Scholarships:
1) BC Achievement Scholarships – top 8000 students in BC will receive $1250 voucher. No application.
2) BC Excellence Scholarship – One student will be nominated by the school (no application). There are 55
scholarships available to recognize well-rounded B.C. graduates. $5,000 voucher
3) Pathway to Teacher Education - $5000 voucher. Must attend an approved K-12 teacher education program
at one of BC’s nine Faculties of Education. For application form, eligibility requirements and application
deadline go to:
1) Research BC post-secondary programs
2) Apply to most BC institutions through this site
3) Financial Aid information
Important Upcoming Sessions
1) How-To Session – Tips for Post-Secondary Applications (including using BC Transcript Services)
Date/Time: Flex Time 2:30-3:30 October 13 or 14.
2) Virtual Fair with BC Post Secondary Institutions
Nov 18 (2:00 – 6:00 PM) and Nov 19 (3:00 – 7:00 PM)
Info and link will be sent home to parents and students via email.
2021 EFMABC BURSARIES
The Educational Facility Managers Association of British Columbia is pleased to offer five $1,000.00 bursaries to graduates of the 2020/2021 school year. Our association is comprised of administrative and management personnel of school districts who are responsible for construction, maintenance and custodial services, etc.
These bursaries are offered to secondary students completing their grade 12 year who will enter a recognized post secondary educational institution in the 2020/2021 term. Bursaries will be awarded on the basis of academic achievement and/or special needs.
Preference will be given to students entering the fields of engineering, architecture, or building technology. Should there not be suitable applications received in these fields, students in other courses of study will be considered, however, all applicants MUST be dependents of school district employees in the school facilities area (i.e. Maintenance or Custodial).
Application forms, available from your school Counsellor, or your district’s Maintenance EFMABC member, are to be completed in full and submitted to:
EFMABC Bursary Committee
Ken Janzen, Co-Chair
School District #41 Burnaby
3350 Norland Avenue
Cintha Winters, Co-Chair
School District #36 Surrey
6700 – 144th Street
Coast Capital Savings - Standing Tall Award
April 3 Deadline for students to submit applications to their school counsellor.
April 17 School to have selected an application from their school to be forwarded to the SBO for final selection by the Assistant Superintendent of Schools. Please include a tally of applications received by your school.
May 4 Deadline for the School District to inform Coast Capital Savings of their Education Award winner and a backup (in case the student declines or does not meet the eligibility requirements).
- February 15, 2021: applications due by 11:59 pm PST
- Early June 2021: conditional recipients and their schools notified by email
- September 2021: conditional recipients checked against eligibility requirements
- Fall 2021: paper scholarship vouchers mailed to confirmed recipients
Eligible applicants must:
• Be a resident of BC
• Have lived in Canada for a minimum of 7 years
• Plan to graduate from a BC secondary school
• Plan to attend and study full time at a post secondary university, college or trade school
• Be ineligible for the BC Tuition Waiver Program (for former youth in care)
• Have experienced adversity or hardship
• Have exhibited a good work ethic
• Have demonstrated financial need
• Evidence of leadership involvement
- Every high school in Canada may nominate one student per academic year
- Nomination deadline is January 27, 2021
The Loran Award is not a reward for past achievements, but an investment in a young person’s potential future path of high impact. Our scholars pursue careers in a wide range of areas, readily take on greater responsibilities and share a lifelong commitment to leading with integrity.
Offered in full partnership with 25 Canadian universities, a Loran Award is valued at approximately $100,000 over four years of undergraduate study: