National Scholarship Information
Grade 12 Information Session – September 2020
Ideas for Success
1) Volunteerism – community, school (Important to give service/give back to others/ Be creative)
2) Leadership activities
3) Keep a record of all applications/essays (you can tweak information to use again)
4) Terms: Bursary = financial need Scholarship = academic standing
5) Reference Letters – from employers, teachers, coaches, close family friends (not relatives!)
Early Scholarships: very competitive
1) Horatio Algers - $5000 Online application. Deadline: Oct 25,2020 Experienced adversity in your life.
2) LORAN Award – $100,000 https://apply.loranscholar.ca/
- School Sponsored Candidates (only 3) - complete school application form by Oct 1, 2020 by 3:30 PM
If selected, complete online application. Deadline: October 15, 2020
- Direct Pool Candidates – Online application Deadline: October 22, 2020
3) Schulich Leadership Scholarship - $100,000 STEM programs at post-secondary
Career choices: technology, engineering, entrepreneurship/business, applied scientific research
- School Sponsored Candidates (only 1) - complete school application form by Nov 13, 2020 by 3:30 PM
If selected, complete online application. Deadline: January 27, 2021
4) TD Scholarships for Community Leadership– up to $10,000 for 4 years. Deadline: Nov 13, 2020
School/School District Based: applications available beginning of Feb 2021 Deadline – March 2021 TBA
1) Isfeld Bursaries – donated by various community groups
2) District Authority Awards – $1250 voucher
BC Ministry Scholarships:
1) BC Achievement Scholarships – top 8000 students in BC will receive $1250 voucher. No application.
2) BC Excellence Scholarship – One student will be nominated by the school (no application). There are 55
scholarships available to recognize well-rounded B.C. graduates. $5,000 voucher
3) Pathway to Teacher Education - $5000 voucher. Must attend an approved K-12 teacher education program
at one of BC’s nine Faculties of Education. For application form, eligibility requirements and application
deadline go to:
1) Research BC post-secondary programs
2) Apply to most BC institutions through this site
3) Financial Aid information
Important Upcoming Sessions
1) How-To Session – Tips for Post-Secondary Applications (including using BC Transcript Services)
Date/Time: Flex Time 2:30-3:30 October 13 or 14.
2) Virtual Fair with BC Post Secondary Institutions
Nov 18 (2:00 – 6:00 PM) and Nov 19 (3:00 – 7:00 PM)
Info and link will be sent home to parents and students via email.
Click HERE to Explore Helpful Websites for Scholarships & Bursaries
The Loran Award is not a reward for past achievements, but an investment in a young person’s potential future path of high impact. Our scholars pursue careers in a wide range of areas, readily take on greater responsibilities and share a lifelong commitment to leading with integrity.
Offered in full partnership with 25 Canadian universities, a Loran Award is valued at approximately $100,000 over four years of undergraduate study:
- Every high school in Canada may nominate one student per academic year
- School sponsored candidates (only 1) - Complete school application form by November 13, 2020 by 3:30pm.
Apply now to Face of Today's Self-Investment Scholarship! Two multi-year $5,000 scholarships towards post-secondary schooling are available to those eligible, who submit an essay on how they have invested in their mental health and wellbeing during a time of crisis.
The Self-Investment Scholarship is eligible to students:
a. Graduating from Grade 12 or a successful high school graduate
b. Accepted or enrolled in a recognized college or university program, job skills training program, apprenticeship program or other vocational program (proof of enrolment will be required for final payment)
c. Able to demonstrate the need for financial assistance for their study program, and
d. Submit an application form including a 2500 word essay about a time when you prioritized or invested in your mental health and wellbeing during a time of crisis
DEADLINE: This application MUST be submitted by Tuesday August 4, 2020 to be considered
Visit: http://www.faceoftoday.ca/selfinvestmentscholarship to submit your essay.
Face of Today was created in 2009, with the hopes that all youth and their communities have access to mental health resources and education. In 2019, the Face of Today Resource Centre was opened in Gastown, to provide programming in arts, fitness and wellness to at-risk youth. Our mission is to invest in strategic partnerships with aligned organizations, co-creating and delivering youth-centered programs that foster resilience, personal development, and a mindset of giving back.
Coast Capital Savings - Standing Tall Award
April 3 Deadline for students to submit applications to their school counsellor.
April 17 School to have selected an application from their school to be forwarded to the SBO for final selection by the Assistant Superintendent of Schools. Please include a tally of applications received by your school.
May 4 Deadline for the School District to inform Coast Capital Savings of their Education Award winner and a backup (in case the student declines or does not meet the eligibility requirements).